To provide quality health care, at no cost, to residents of the community who cannot pay for such services and who have no health insurance.
Reverend Bill Bouknight, former pastor of Trenholm Road United Methodist Church, saw an article in Guidepost magazine concerning a free medical clinic in Roanoke, Virginia. Following a visit to that clinic, Rev. Bouknight and the Bethlehem Center began detailed planning to bring a free medical clinic into existence in Columbia. The Free Medical Clinic, Inc., was incorporated on April 12, 1984. The Clinic opened across the street from Providence Hospital at 1609 Brabham Avenue and started serving patients on May 24, 1984. The original clinic had a waiting room, two exam rooms, a small pharmacy and a small laboratory.
In October 1993, the Clinic moved to its present location at 1875 Harden Street into building with 5,875 square feet. Converting the former home of the Harvest Hope Food Bank, the staff and volunteers operate six examination rooms, a pharmacy, a small laboratory, a classroom for patient education and meetings, a waiting room and offices.